Great Online Deals!

10/16/10

Taylor Swifts Many Muses, From Joe Jonas To Kanye West - MTV.com

Taylor Swift has a history of writing songs about the men in her life. While the subject of her latest hit, "Mine," off her upcoming album Speak Now, remains a mystery, Swift hasn't been shy about expressing her feelings for the likes of Joe Jonas, a guy named Drew and, most recently, we presume, Kanye West. Even when she doesn't specifically name her muse in a song's lyrics, she's doesn't back down from discussing who her songs are about.
Back in 2006, when Swift was only 16, she released her track "Tim McGraw," inspired by the country singer's song "Can't Tell Me Nothin'." In it, Swift sings, "When you think Tim McGraw, I hope you think of me." She told SongWriterUniverse.com, "The song is based on true events — it happened in real life. I had a boyfriend and we had broken up. After the breakup, I wanted him to be reminded of me."
After working in the world of country for some time, Swift had a breakthrough hit with her ballad "Teardrops on My Guitar." While the guy she wrote about, Drew, wasn't famous, he is one of the few guys she calls out by name in her lyrics. "He showed up in my driveway this Christmas, and it was awkward because it was three years after I wrote the song," she said. "He was like, 'Hey.' It was definitely weird. I was going to a hockey game with my friends, and it was the most drama you could have when you have to go pick up your friends. I got over it. I wrote the song. It's a venting process."
In 2008, Swift thought her relationship with Joe Jonas was "Forever and Always," but Jonas reportedly broke up with her over the phone. And Swift wasn't afraid to open up about her relationship with her famous ex in her song, which appeared on Fearless. "With this situation, I feel like I owed it to my fans to be like, 'Look, it happened, you weren't crazy,' and address it," she told MTV News. "And I addressed it, and, you know, that's a chapter in my life that's closed now."
Finally, Taylor Swift debuted her new ballad, tentatively titled "Innocent," at the 2010 VMAs. In it, she discusses a man who has lost his path in life, but whose "streaming lights are bright to me." Given that Swift refers to "new Septembers" (the same month in which the VMAs are held), she is presumably singing about Kanye West. And Swift has made it clear that this next album will be about things and people that featured prominently in her life over the last few years.
"For me, I write everything that I live, so you've got to give yourself a little bit of time to live a lot of things so you can write about a lot of things. And my only option is to write about what I've been through and what I've lived. So thankfully, in the past two years, I've experienced a lot of things that I've been dying to write about and a lot of things that I wanted to say in the moment that I didn't," she said about Speak Now, due in October.
The Moonmen have all been handed out and the stars have gone home, but there's plenty of 2010 MTV Video Music Awards news, interviews, behind-the-scenes scoop, party reports and more still to come, so keep it locked on MTVNews.com.
View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rolling Stone : Taylor Swift

Channels Featuring Taylor Swift on Rhapsody Online